Monday, October 6, 2014

Prambanan

After Borobudur on Saturday, it's time for the second big temple near Yogjakarta: Prambanan.
Prambanan is a Hindu temple, one of the largest in South East Asia. What are the odd that two of the largest temples in the world are located in the sample place? Small you would say and you would be wrong looking at Yogyakarta.
From the moment we arrived I had the feeling of being in one of the temples of an Indiana Jones' movie. Don't ask me why. I kept on thinking the whole time that if I push one of the statues, it will open a secret passage. This did not happen but I found a lot of temples and statues making this site super interesting. I tried to take pictures but with Oskar in the baby carrier my freedom of movement was a bit limited. We will see how bad I did once I have the computer. 

A selection of pictures:
The site was damaged by an earth quake a few decades ago. The biggest temples have been rebuilt. The smaller ones are still in process.
English teachers bring their students to the temple so they can practice their English with the tourists. Wolfram and Oskar were the center of the attention of all the girls. Once they are done questioning you about where you come from, how long you stay in Indonesia and your favorite Indonesian dish, it's photo time!
Some details of the temples
Not sure how much Oskar enjoyed the visit but he did enjoy wandering through the temples, especially when escaping from his parents.



No comments: